Uncategorized

1 dead, 4 injured as Hong Kong subdivided flat fire forces 300 to be evacuated

Firefighters tackle a late-night blaze at Man Yuen Building in Jordan Photo: Handout

A Hong Kong resident has died and four others were injured after a fire broke out late on Thursday in an old building under renovation in Jordan, prompting the evacuation of about 300 people.

Police received a report at 10.49pm of a fire in a subdivided flat in the 62-year-old Man Yuen Building on Man Wai Street.

The Fire Services Department deployed 20 fire engines, 10 ambulances and 106 personnel, with the blaze extinguished at 11.53pm.

Firefighters tackle a late-night blaze at Man Yuen Building in Jordan Photo: Handout
Firefighters tackle a late-night blaze at Man Yuen Building in Jordan Photo: Handout

According to the fire department, the affected subdivided flat measured about 6 by 8 metres and had been divided into nine units. The fire started in the unit at the rear.

Police said there was no evidence of any criminal element, and the cause of the fire remains under investigation.

A 69-year-old man surnamed Chu died in the subdivided flat on the 13th floor. Four other residents, aged between 43 and 78, were taken to Kwong Wah Hospital in Yau Ma Te after inhaling thick smoke.

The fire department said the building’s fire alarm system was working at the time of the incident and that it had passed its annual inspection.

Source link

Visited 1 times, 1 visit(s) today

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *