
Hong Kong’s medical watchdog and Coroner’s Court will look into an incident in which an eight-year-old girl died two years ago after a delayed blood transfusion during surgery at a public hospital.
Eddie Chau, the father of the girl, Chau Tin-yu, said on Friday that the Medical Council inquiry would take place from October 27 to 30 and that he would attend as a witness.
Chau said he had lodged a complaint with the Medical Council regarding the anaesthetist involved in the April 2021 surgery at Queen Mary Hospital, but was consistently told there had been no progress in the past few years.
“After five long years of waiting, a turning point has finally arrived. I only hope that this hearing will be conducted impartially. If it is established that the relevant personnel were indeed at fault, they must bear the corresponding responsibility,” he said on social media.
“We must not allow the general public to be disappointed once again, nor must we see a situation where the law is ‘held high but applied lightly’, with a suspended sentence handed down, resulting in leniency and indulgence that renders justice an empty phrase.”
Chau described the coming inquest as his “last hope in the struggle for justice”, because “only through the authority of the court can we compel relevant witnesses to appear and testify, allowing the hidden truth to gradually come to light”.