China increases detentions of Taiwanese in 2025 | Taiwan News

FB

TAIPEI (Taiwan News) — The number of Taiwanese detained by China has tripled this year, as Beijing steps up its use of lawfare and cognitive warfare to suppress Taiwan across borders, Mainland Affairs Council Minister Chiu Chui-cheng (邱垂正) said Tuesday.

During a Legislative Yuan session, DPP Legislator Puma Shen (沈柏洋) said he is being investigated by China for promoting Taiwanese independence, per Liberty Times. He downplayed his personal risk and said the focus should be on China’s “three warfares” strategy, which includes public opinion warfare, lawfare, and psychological warfare.

Shen pointed out that civil servants, teachers, and military personnel have already been targeted by psychological tactics. He warned that if not countered creatively, it could spread to the general public.

Premier Cho Jung-tai (卓榮泰) said China has no judicial jurisdiction over Taiwan, making its claims meaningless. He suggested legislators brief international human rights and political organizations about the situation.

Cho added that lawmakers should explain that a neighboring country is asserting long-arm jurisdiction and restricting personal freedoms under fabricated charges. He stressed that no matter how strong China’s economy or military is, it fails completely on human rights.

Chiu said that China is combining lawfare and cognitive warfare to suppress Taiwan across borders, attempting to intimidate the public and sow division in society. He urged ruling and opposition parties to unite in condemnation and resistance.

He said that some Taiwanese traveling to China have gone missing, been detained, or subjected to prolonged questioning, and the number detained under Chinese law has steadily increased. From last year to the end of October, 233 people were detained — 55 last year and 178 this year.

Chiu said cross-border suppression and the risk to Taiwanese traveling to China have raised red flags. He emphasized that the government must protect its citizens.

While politicians, military personnel, and prosecutors may be more resilient to intimidation, ordinary citizens are vulnerable. He called on all sectors to recognize the danger, unite in resistance, and condemn the CCP’s cross-border suppression.

Chiu stressed that industries should not cooperate with the CCP’s targeting of individuals or act as accomplices. Instead, they should protect citizens from overseas coercion.

As international attention grows, Chiu said Taiwan should call on the global community to recognize the issue. He pledged that both the Mainland Affairs Council and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs will continue reporting China’s extraterritorial actions against Taiwanese internationally.

Source link

Visited 1 times, 1 visit(s) today

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *