US President Donald Trump has rejected Ukraine’s request to use Starlink to guide drone strikes against Russian military targets inside Russia, the Financial Times reported Friday, citing people familiar with the matter.
The appeal came during a late-July meeting at the White House, when President Volodymyr Zelensky reportedly asked Trump to intervene with Musk, the owner of SpaceX, which operates Starlink.
JOIN US ON TELEGRAM
Follow our coverage of the war on the @Kyivpost_official.
Kyiv wants to hit Russian missile launchers
Zelensky wants Ukrainian long-range drones to use the satellite network to more accurately target Russian military sites, particularly mobile ballistic missile launchers and related infrastructure located up to 200 kilometers (124 miles) from Ukraine’s border.
The request is aimed in part at reducing Russia’s ability to launch ballistic missiles at Kyiv and other Ukrainian cities, while easing pressure on Ukraine’s increasingly limited stock of Patriot air-defense interceptors.
Trump reportedly said he would consider the request but made no commitment to support it. The FT now reports that he did not back the proposal.
Musk has already blocked Starlink strikes
Musk is also refusing to grant Ukraine permission to use Starlink inside Russian territory, The Atlantic previously reported.
SpaceX currently allows Ukraine to use Starlink on Ukrainian-controlled territory, including Russian-occupied areas such as Crimea, but blocks the network inside Russia. Ukrainian long-range drones therefore rely on alternative navigation systems, including AI-based technology, when operating across the border.

Other Topics of Interest
Ukraine Calls for Urgent Global Response After Russia’s 9-Hour Assault
Ukraine urges allies to send more Patriot interceptors and tighten sanctions as Russia showcases missile launches after its massive overnight barrage.
Zelensky reportedly argued that improved targeting is needed to destroy Russia’s mobile ballistic missile launchers before winter, when Moscow is expected to intensify attacks on Ukraine’s energy infrastructure.
Kyiv had hoped that limiting strikes to targets within 200 kilometers of the Ukrainian border could persuade Musk to reconsider. The billionaire, however, has previously restricted Starlink’s use for attacks deep inside Russia over concerns about nuclear escalation.
Zelensky also sought a meeting with Musk during his US visit, but the billionaire reportedly declined.
Earlier this year, former Ukrainian Defense Minister Mykhailo Fedorov reportedly reached an agreement with Musk to restrict Starlink access for the Russian military.
However, efforts to secure expanded access for Ukrainian strikes inside Russia have produced no positive decision, The Atlantic reported.
Musk has argued that the war can only end through a peace agreement between Kyiv and Moscow and has said Russia is unlikely to withdraw its troops without concessions from Ukraine.