
Hong Kong and mainland Chinese authorities have arrested 119 people linked to a HK$20 million (US$2.6 million) racket that forged and distributed identity cards and arranged accommodation for cross-border recruits to obtain jobs illegally in the city – the largest sum recorded in such a case to date.
The Immigration Department said on Thursday that the cross-boundary sting, code-named “Operation Sharpspear”, was carried out between October and January in collaboration with Guangdong and Zhuhai authorities.
Tang Ka-fai, senior principal immigration officer of enforcement at the department, said the local authority would follow up on 102 of the suspects.
“We will continue to step up inspections regarding illegal workers… to safeguard the employment opportunities of local workers and maintain social order,” he said.
During the operation, about 40 fake Hong Kong identity cards and 24 photocopies were seized. The syndicate charged around HK$3,200 for each forged identity card.
Those arrested included illegal workers and employers, along with a syndicate mastermind and an accomplice. The group had been active for about a year.