Hong Kong prepares for sweeping reforms following end of Tai Po blaze inquiry

    Hong Kong prepares for sweeping reforms following end of Tai Po blaze inquiry

    Hong Kong authorities are set to roll out sweeping reforms following the conclusion of the investigation into the city’s deadliest fire in decades, including criminalising bid-rigging and overhauling fire safety and property management laws. Political observers also expected senior officials, including ministers, to take accountability for the blaze once the committee submits its report, which…

    Read More
    Hong Kong to tighten contractor oversight after Tai Po blaze, minister vows

      Hong Kong to tighten contractor oversight after Tai Po blaze, minister vows

      Hong Kong’s development minister has vowed to tighten monitoring of contractors and explore harsher penalties for industry misconduct following criticisms that the government’s reliance on their self-supervision was partly to blame for the deadly Tai Po blaze. But Bernadette Linn Hon-ho also defended the current regulatory system, stressing that violations were penalised. “The monitoring system…

      Read More
      Departments must communicate better, fire chief tells Tai Po blaze hearing

        Departments must communicate better, fire chief tells Tai Po blaze hearing

        Hong Kong’s fire services chief has acknowledged that better communication with building authorities is needed after an independent committee earlier revealed that his officers had taken no action against possible safety breaches during renovations at Wang Fuk Court, where 168 people were killed in last year’s inferno. But Director of Fire Services Andy Yeung Yan-kin…

        Read More
        100‑metre ladders ‘unsuitable’ for narrow Hong Kong roads, Tai Po fire probe told - as it happened

          100‑metre ladders ‘unsuitable’ for narrow Hong Kong roads, Tai Po fire probe told – as it happened

          This story has been made freely available as a public service to our readers. Please consider supporting SCMP’s journalism by subscribing. A judge-led panel investigating the causes of Hong Kong’s deadliest fire in decades, which killed 168 people in Tai Po, concluded its 12th day of evidential hearings on Wednesday. Representatives from the Fire Services…

          Read More
          The expenditure mainly covered removal of dangerous scaffolding and nets, according to authorities. Photo: Jelly Tse

            Hong Kong authorities spend HK$34 million on Tai Po fire recovery works

            Hong Kong housing authorities have spent HK$34 million (US$4.3 million) on recovery efforts following the devastating fire at Wang Fuk Court, including removing damaged scaffolding, conducting structural assessments and strengthening works. The Housing Bureau said on Thursday evening that the HK$34 million expenditure was the main reason for the 22.1 per cent increase in the…

            Read More