Gunfire near White House checkpoint, suspect Nasire Best killed | World News

font

Last Updated:

Several videos captured the chaotic moments as reporters reacted to rapid gunfire near the White House complex.

font
Members of the media stand outside the area where a shooting occured earlier at 18th and Pennsylvania Avenue near the White House in Washington, DC, on May 23, 2026. (AFP)

Members of the media stand outside the area where a shooting occured earlier at 18th and Pennsylvania Avenue near the White House in Washington, DC, on May 23, 2026. (AFP)

Panic unfolded outside the White House on Saturday evening after gunfire suddenly erupted near a security checkpoint, forcing journalists reporting live from the North Lawn to duck for cover and run to safety.

Several dramatic videos from the scene quickly went viral on social media, capturing the chaotic moments as reporters reacted to the sound of rapid gunfire near the White House complex.

One widely shared clip showed ABC News correspondent Selina Wang and other journalists scrambling for safety after hearing what witnesses described as between 15 and 30 gunshots.

Wang later said she had been filming a social media segment from the White House North Lawn when the shooting began.

“It sounded like dozens of gunshots. We were told to sprint to the press briefing room,” she wrote in a post on X.

Another viral video showed a visibly startled reporter standing exposed near the media area, repeatedly asking, “What is that?” as the sound of gunfire echoed nearby while several others immediately ducked behind barriers and equipment for protection.

According to the US Secret Service, agents opened fire on a man after he approached a checkpoint outside the White House and allegedly began shooting at officers. Law enforcement sources identified the suspect as 21-year-old Nasire Best.

Authorities said Best was killed during the exchange of fire, while another bystander was also struck by gunfire. The condition of the injured bystander has not yet been officially disclosed.

Court records reviewed by US media outlets indicate Best had previous encounters with law enforcement and the Secret Service. In one earlier incident, he was reportedly involuntarily committed to a psychiatric hospital. In another, local police arrested him after he allegedly claimed “he was Jesus Christ.”

Investigators are also examining Best’s social media activity, which reportedly included posts threatening violence against President Donald Trump and another message in which he wrote, “I’m actually the son of God.”

President Trump was inside the White House at the time of the shooting and was not harmed, officials confirmed.

News world Journalists Duck For Cover As Gunfire Erupts Outside White House | Watch
Disclaimer: Comments reflect users’ views, not News18’s. Please keep discussions respectful and constructive. Abusive, defamatory, or illegal comments will be removed. News18 may disable any comment at its discretion. By posting, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

Read More



Source link

Visited 1 times, 1 visit(s) today

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *