Deflated: gas taken out of Hong Kong hot-air balloon festival as tethered rides suspended

Deflated: gas taken out of Hong Kong hot-air balloon festival as tethered rides suspended

Hong Kong’s first hot-air balloon festival has suspended its tethered ride arrangements after the government refused to grant it the relevant permit, citing safety concerns.

A government spokesman said on Thursday night that the results of the first field test conducted by the organiser of the AIA International Hot Air Balloon Fest Hong Kong on August 20 had been “unsatisfactory”.

“The relevant departments have observed that the balloon’s operation is severely affected by the strength and direction of the wind. Conditions that were difficult to control had emerged, posing significant safety risks,” he said.

The government said it had approved the festival’s hot-air balloon display after the organiser conducted another test on Wednesday, but decided against allowing the ride to carry visitors as there was insufficient time to assess passenger safety.

It added that the festival was a commercial event that was neither held, co-organised or subsidised by authorities.

Earlier in the evening, the festival dropped a bombshell by revealing that the current permit it had obtained from the government “only allows professional aviation technicians with licences to ride on the balloon” and therefore could not carry eventgoers.

Source link

Visited 1 times, 1 visit(s) today

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *