Iran ‘invited’ to join Pakistan-Turkey-Saudi Arabia’s Mecca defence pact; report says proposal being ‘considered’

Tehran reportedly received an invitation to join the Mecca defence pact. (File Photo/Reuters)

Iran has reportedly received an official invitation to join the Mecca Joint Defence Agreement, a pact previously established by Pakistan, Turkey, and Saudi Arabia.

Tehran reportedly received an invitation to join the Mecca defence pact. (File Photo/Reuters)
Tehran reportedly received an invitation to join the Mecca defence pact. (File Photo/Reuters)

Mehdi Rahimi, head of the Iranian Parliament news agency, informed about the invitation, Al Mayadeen reported on Saturday.

The official also revealed that the proposal is under consideration.

Also Read | Decoding real scope of Saudi, Turkey, and Pakistan’s Mecca pact: New ‘NATO of East?’

Pakistan, Turkey, and Saudi Arabia sign defence pact

Pakistan, Turkey, and Saudi Arabia signed a joint defence agreement on August 7.

According to a statement published by Pakistan’s foreign ministry and the official Saudi press agency, the countries announced the signing of the “Mecca Joint Defence Agreement,” AFP reported.

The pact stipulates that an armed attack on any one of the countries would be considered an attack on all three.

Also Read | Saudi Arabia, Turkey and Pakistan sign defence pact: What the agreement means

Meanwhile, after it was signed, US President Donald Trump welcomed the step and said that he was pleased by it.

He wrote on Truth Social, “Very happy to see that Saudi Arabia, Turkey, and Pakistan have recently, and finally, signed the Mecca Joint Defence Agreement.”

“It shows how the Middle East is coming together, and how Countries will finally be able to defend themselves in a more meaningful way,” he added, calling it a “BIG, BOLD, IMPORTANT FIRST STEP.”

This development came amid regional tensions in the Middle East as friction between the US and Iran continues.

Also Read | Bangladesh exploring ‘Islamic NATO’: Why joining Pakistan-Turkey-Saudi Arabia’s Mecca pact may make sense to Dhaka

Bangladesh open to joining the defence pact?

In an interview on Friday with the Bangla service of state-run BSS, newly appointed state minister for foreign affairs Humayun Kobir said Dhaka is maintaining “positive approach” towards joining the pact.

“Bangladesh maintains a positive approach towards the possibility of joining an economic or defence framework involving Saudi Arabia, Pakistan and Turkiye, taking into account its own interests and the changing dynamics of the global economy and trade,” he said.

Also Read | EAM downplays Pakistan-Turkey-Saudi defence pact: ‘What has it done amid live military situations in these countries?’

According to news agency PTI, he also said that Bangladesh would also strengthen bilateral ties with Pakistan through diplomatic engagement.

(with inputs from agencies)

Source link

Visited 1 times, 1 visit(s) today

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *