Iran-US tensions LIVE: Fears of ‘war’ rise in Mid-East amid reports of US plans to strike Tehran this weekend

Tensions between the United States and Iran have been on the edge since nationwide protests hit the latter against the current Islamic regime.

Tensions between the United States and Iran have been on the edge since nationwide protests hit the latter against the current Islamic regime.

Tensions between the United States and Iran have been on the edge since nationwide protests hit the latter against the current Islamic regime.

Iran-US tensions LIVE: The United States is reportedly mulling a strike on Iran as early as this weekend. However, President Donald Trump has yet to take a final call on his actions towards Tehran. The US military is continuing to increase the presence of its air and naval assets in the Middle East.

Concerns about a US strike followed negotiations between the American and Iranian delegations in Geneva, Switzerland.

White House Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt said earlier on Wednesday that while progress was made in the Geneva talks, the two nations continued to stand “far apart” on certain issues. She said the US expects that Iran will return with further details in the next couple of weeks. “The president will continue to watch how this plays out,” she added.

Leavitt also warned that Iran would be “wise” to do a deal with the US, as Trump once again hinted at military action. “Iran would be very wise to make a deal with President Trump and with his administration,” she told reporters.

Trump’s hit at strike on Iran

On Wednesday, Trump again suggested that the United States might strike Iran. In a post on Truth Social, he warned Britain against ceding sovereignty over the Chagos Islands in the Indian Ocean and said that the archipelago’s Diego Garcia airbase might be needed if Iran fails to agree to a deal, “in order to eradicate a potential attack by a highly unstable and dangerous regime”.

Iran-US tensions | Key points

Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian insisted on Wednesday that “we do not want war” but suggested that Tehran could not give in to US demands. “From the day I took office, I have believed that war must be set aside. But if they are going to try to impose their will on us, humiliate us and demand that we bow our heads at any cost, should we accept that?” he asked.

Iranian foreign minister Abbas Araghchi held a phone call with Rafael Grossi, the head of the International Atomic Energy Agency, stressing Tehran’s focus on “drafting an initial and coherent framework to advance future talks”.

US Energy Secretary Chris Wright warned that Washington would prevent Iran from acquiring nuclear weapons “one way or the other”. He told reporters, “They’ve been very clear about what they would do with nuclear weapons. It’s entirely unacceptable.”

A US military buildup is underway in the Middle East. Washington has reportedly ordered a second aircraft carrier to the region, with the first, the USS Abraham Lincoln and its nearly 80 aircraft, positioned about 700 kilometres from the Iranian coast as of Sunday. Meanwhile, Iran is also displaying its military prowess, with the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps beginning a series of war games earlier this week in the Strait of Hormuz.

…Read More

Concerns about a US strike followed negotiations between the American and Iranian delegations in Geneva, Switzerland.

White House Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt said earlier on Wednesday that while progress was made in the Geneva talks, the two nations continued to stand “far apart” on certain issues. She said the US expects that Iran will return with further details in the next couple of weeks. “The president will continue to watch how this plays out,” she added.

Leavitt also warned that Iran would be “wise” to do a deal with the US, as Trump once again hinted at military action. “Iran would be very wise to make a deal with President Trump and with his administration,” she told reporters.

Trump’s hit at strike on Iran

On Wednesday, Trump again suggested that the United States might strike Iran. In a post on Truth Social, he warned Britain against ceding sovereignty over the Chagos Islands in the Indian Ocean and said that the archipelago’s Diego Garcia airbase might be needed if Iran fails to agree to a deal, “in order to eradicate a potential attack by a highly unstable and dangerous regime”.

Iran-US tensions | Key points

Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian insisted on Wednesday that “we do not want war” but suggested that Tehran could not give in to US demands. “From the day I took office, I have believed that war must be set aside. But if they are going to try to impose their will on us, humiliate us and demand that we bow our heads at any cost, should we accept that?” he asked.

Iranian foreign minister Abbas Araghchi held a phone call with Rafael Grossi, the head of the International Atomic Energy Agency, stressing Tehran’s focus on “drafting an initial and coherent framework to advance future talks”.

US Energy Secretary Chris Wright warned that Washington would prevent Iran from acquiring nuclear weapons “one way or the other”. He told reporters, “They’ve been very clear about what they would do with nuclear weapons. It’s entirely unacceptable.”

A US military buildup is underway in the Middle East. Washington has reportedly ordered a second aircraft carrier to the region, with the first, the USS Abraham Lincoln and its nearly 80 aircraft, positioned about 700 kilometres from the Iranian coast as of Sunday. Meanwhile, Iran is also displaying its military prowess, with the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps beginning a series of war games earlier this week in the Strait of Hormuz.

Follow all the updates here:

Feb 19, 2026 1:42:50 PM IST

Iran-US tensions LIVE: US imposes visa bans on Iranian officials over protest crackdown

The US has reportedly imposed visa restrictions on 18 Iranian officials and telecommunications industry leaders over their role in the violent crackdown on protests, the State Department said on Tuesday.

The restrictions are also imposed on immediate family members, bringing the total number targeted under the policy to 58, Principal Deputy Spokesperson Tommy Pigott said.

Feb 19, 2026 1:22:56 PM IST

Iran-US tensions LIVE: Iranian atomic energy chief says no country can deprive Tehran of its rights

Iran’s atomic energy chief Mohammad Eslami said on Thursday that no country can deprive the Islamic Republic of its right to nuclear enrichment.

“The basis of the nuclear industry is enrichment. Whatever you want to do in the nuclear process, you need nuclear fuel,” Eslami said, according to a video by Etemad daily.

“Iran’s nuclear programme is proceeding according to the rules of the International Atomic Energy Agency, and no country can deprive Iran of the right to peacefully benefit from this technology,” Eslami added.

Feb 19, 2026 1:09:38 PM IST

Iran-US tensions LIVE: Tehran lawmaker says delaying US attacks through talks would be good enough

An Iranian lawmaker said it would be good if negotiations could prevent war or at least delay its outbreak, Iran International reported. The lawmaker praised Iran’s negotiating team for its performance so far.

“It is good enough that war does not happen and that we can, through negotiations, push back the outbreak of war, and at least up to this moment, Iran’s negotiating team has been able to carry out this duty well,” Ahmad Bakhshayesh Ardestani said.

Feb 19, 2026 12:24:52 PM IST

Iran-US tensions LIVE: Russia’s Lavrov warns against any new US strike on Tehran

Russian foreign minister Sergei Lavrov warned that any new US strike on Iran would have serious consequences, calling for restraint to find a solution to enable Tehran to pursue a peaceful nuclear programme.

In an interview with Saudi Arabia’s Al-Arabiya television, Lavrov said, “The consequences are not good. There have already been strikes on Iran on nuclear sites under the control of the International Atomic Energy Agency. From what we can judge there were real risks of a nuclear incident.”

“I am carefully watching reactions in the region from Arab countries, Gulf monarchies. No one wants an increase in tension. Everyone understands this is playing with fire,” he added.

Feb 19, 2026 11:39:29 AM IST

Iran-US tensions LIVE: Weapon that can send US aircraft carrier to the bottom of sea, warns Khamenei

Iran’s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei warned recently that even the strongest army in the world can be slapped in such a way that it cannot get back up.

“They keep saying we have sent an aircraft carrier toward Iran. Very well, an aircraft carrier is a dangerous device, but more dangerous than the carrier is the weapon that can send it to the bottom of the sea,” he was quoted as saying by Iran International.

Feb 19, 2026 11:04:05 AM IST

Iran-US tensions LIVE: US can’t eliminate the Islamic Republic, says Khamenei

Iran’s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei said recently that the US will never succeed in eliminating the Islamic Republic, warning that even the world’s strongest military can suffer major blows.

“The US president said in one of his recent remarks that for 47 years America has been unable to eliminate the Islamic Republic; he complained about it to his own people. For 47 years, America has not been able to eliminate the Islamic Republic. That is a good admission,” Khamenei was quoted as saying by Iran International on Tuesday.

“I say: You, too, will not be able to do this,” he added.

Feb 19, 2026 10:37:50 AM IST

Iran-US tensions LIVE: Tehran fortifies nuclear talks amid concerns of US strike

A combination picture of satellite images showing tunnel entrances before and after being buried with soil at the Isfahan nuclear complex, in Isfahan, Iran, in these handout images dated November 11, 2024 (top) and February 10, 2026 (bottom). Vantor/Handout via REUTERS  MANDATORY CREDIT. THIS IMAGE HAS BEEN SUPPLIED BY A THIRD PARTY. NO RESALES. NO ARCHIVES.  MUST NOT OBSCURE LOGO (via REUTERS)
A combination picture of satellite images showing tunnel entrances before and after being buried with soil at the Isfahan nuclear complex, in Isfahan, Iran, in these handout images dated November 11, 2024 (top) and February 10, 2026 (bottom). Vantor/Handout via REUTERS MANDATORY CREDIT. THIS IMAGE HAS BEEN SUPPLIED BY A THIRD PARTY. NO RESALES. NO ARCHIVES. MUST NOT OBSCURE LOGO (via REUTERS)

Satellite images published by Reuters on Wednesday showed Iran repairing and reinforcing key military and nuclear sites amid concerns of a US strike on the region.

A new facility at the Parchin military complex, covered with a concrete shield and soil, was seen in the images, while Isfahan nuclear site’s tunnel entrances have been backfilled.

Feb 19, 2026 10:23:53 AM IST

Iran-US tensions LIVE: Tehran issues ‘Notice to Air Missions’ to warn of planned rocket launches today

Iran has issued a Notice to Air Missions (NOTAM), indicating planned rocket launches across parts of southern Iran on Thursday, Iran International reported.

Feb 19, 2026 10:07:55 AM IST

Iran-US tensions LIVE: Earthquake of magnitude 5.5 strikes southern Iran, says GFZ

An earthquake of magnitude 5.5 struck southern Iran, the German Research Centre for Geosciences (GFZ) said on Thursday.

The quake was at a depth of 10 kilometers.

Feb 19, 2026 10:01:34 AM IST

Iran-US tensions LIVE: Tehran to submit written nuclear proposal to US after Geneva talks

Iran is reportedly expected to submit a written proposal to the US, addressing concerns in the nuclear standoff following the negotiations in Geneva, a senior US official told Reuters.

During discussions, Iran agreed to provide the proposal. “We are currently waiting for that from the Iranians,” the officials said.

Feb 19, 2026 9:44:03 AM IST

Iran-US tensions LIVE: Tehran would be ‘very wise to make a deal’ with Trump, says White House

White House press secretary Karoline Leavitt told reporters on Wednesday that Iran would be “very wise to make a deal with President Trump and with his administration”.

She also said that talks between the two sides in Geneva made progress, but the countries still stood “far apart” on certain issues.

“There was a little bit of progress made, but we are still far apart on some issues. We expect the Iranians to come back with the details in the next couple of weeks. The president will continue to watch how this plays out,” the press secretary said.

Feb 19, 2026 9:34:27 AM IST

Iran-US tensions LIVE: Rubio likely to update Netanyahu on Geneva talks in Israel next week, say officials

US Secretary of State Marco Rubio is reportedly planning to travel to Israel next week to update Israeli prime minister Benjamin Netanyahu on the Iran-US talks in Geneva, The Associated Press reported, citing two Trump administration officials.

Rubio is likely to meet Netanyahu on February 28.

Feb 19, 2026 9:25:35 AM IST

Iran-US tensions LIVE: Trump’s fresh hint at strike on Tehran. What did he say?

On Wednesday, Trump again suggested that the United States might strike Iran. In a post on Truth Social, he warned Britain against ceding sovereignty over the Chagos Islands in the Indian Ocean and said that the archipelago’s Diego Garcia airbase might be needed if Iran fails to agree to a deal, “in order to eradicate a potential attack by a highly unstable and dangerous regime”.

Feb 19, 2026 9:18:43 AM IST

Iran-US tensions LIVE: We would prevent Tehran from acquiring nukes ‘one way or another’, says Trump energy secretary

US Energy Secretary Chris Wright warned that Washington would prevent Iran from acquiring nuclear weapons “one way or the other”. He told reporters, “They’ve been very clear about what they would do with nuclear weapons. It’s entirely unacceptable.”

Feb 19, 2026 9:06:55 AM IST

Iran-US tensions LIVE: Tehran’s foreign minister dials chief of UN nuclear watchdog

Iranian foreign minister Abbas Araghchi held a phone call with Rafael Grossi, the head of the International Atomic Energy Agency, stressing Tehran’s focus on “drafting an initial and coherent framework to advance future talks”.

Feb 19, 2026 8:54:45 AM IST

Iran-US tensions LIVE: Tehran doesn’t want war, but it also can’t give in to US demands, says Iranian President

Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian insisted on Wednesday that “we do not want war” but suggested that Tehran could not give in to US demands. “From the day I took office, I have believed that war must be set aside. But if they are going to try to impose their will on us, humiliate us and demand that we bow our heads at any cost, should we accept that?” he asked.

Feb 19, 2026 8:47:04 AM IST

Iran-US tensions LIVE: Trump’s hints at strike on Tehran in case of ‘no deal’

On Wednesday, Trump again suggested that the United States might strike Iran. In a post on Truth Social, he warned Britain against ceding sovereignty over the Chagos Islands in the Indian Ocean and said that the archipelago’s Diego Garcia airbase might be needed if Iran fails to agree to a deal, “in order to eradicate a potential attack by a highly unstable and dangerous regime”.

Feb 19, 2026 8:39:52 AM IST

Iran-US tensions LIVE: US military prepared to strike Tehran this weekend; Trump yet to give nod, says report

The US military is reportedly prepared to strike Iran as early as this weekend. However, President Donald Trump is yet to take a final call on whether he’ll authorise such actions, CNN reported, citing sources familiar with the matter.

The White House has reportedly been briefed that the military could be ready for an attack by the weekend. However, one source, cited by CNN, said that Trump has privately argued both for and against military action in Tehran. He has also polled advisers and allies on the best course of action.

“He is spending a lot of time thinking about this,” a source was quoted as saying.

Feb 19, 2026 8:33:35 AM IST

Iran-US tensions LIVE: American military continues increasing presence in Middle East

The US military is reportedly significantly increasing the presence of its air and naval assets in the Middle East. The pieces are being moved into place to increase pressure on Tehran as terms of a nuclear deal were being discussed during the recent talks in Geneva, Switzerland, CNN reported, citing multiple sources.

Feb 19, 2026 8:28:24 AM IST

Iran-US tensions LIVE: Progress in Geneva talks, but still ‘far apart’ on issues, says White House Press Secy

White House Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt said earlier on Wednesday that while progress was made in the Geneva talks, the two nations continued to stand “far apart” on certain issues.

Source link

Visited 1 times, 1 visit(s) today

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *