A man was arrested Tuesday night for threatening the U.S. attorney for the Northern District of New York with a knife.
Albany County sheriff’s deputies arrested 40-year-old Saul Morales-Garcia in downtown Albany after receiving a call “regarding a suspect who had threatened to kill a victim with a knife in the area of 40 Lodge Street” — the address of the Hilton Albany hotel — just before 10 p.m. Tuesday. Albany Mayor Kathy Sheehan confirmed in a statement Wednesday morning that the person allegedly threatened was U.S. Attorney John Sarcone III.
A sheriff’s office release says Morales-Garcia allegedly “displayed a knife and aggressively charged at the victim while also making motions to cut the victim’s throat with the knife.” Morales-Garcia, who Sheriff Craig Apple said had been previously deported, was charged with second degree attempted murder, criminal possession of a weapon and menacing. He will be arraigned Wednesday in city court.
“We are grateful that the individual accused of threatening U.S. Attorney Sarcone with a knife has been arrested,” Sheehan said in her statement Wednesday. “As I have said many times before: if you commit a violent crime in the City of Albany, we will find you, arrest you, and do everything we can to hold you accountable — regardless of where you are from. Public safety is the first and foremost focus of my administration, and in this instance a person accused of a crime was taken off our streets.”