Analysts said on Thursday the success was a sign of encouragement for local filmmakers at a difficult time for the movie industry as Hong Kong’s box office revenue last year slumped to its lowest level since 2011. The success also served as a reminder to think of ways to go international, they said.
According to the official Facebook page for the movie, earnings had reached 100 million yen since it was released in Japan on January 17.
“It’s truly a rare and precious achievement to become the highest-grossing Hong Kong film in Japan in the last five years,” the post said. “We are proud and grateful for the Japanese audience’s love for this film.”
The film directed by Soi Cheang Pou-soi and featuring acclaimed actor Louis Koo and rising star Terrance Lau Chun-him earned HK$108 million in the city from May 1 to November 8, becoming the second-highest-grossing film last year.
Combining kung fu and nostalgia for the city’s infamous Kowloon Walled City that was demolished in 1994, the neo-noir action thriller created a sensation upon its release
It will represent Hong Kong at this year’s Oscars.