Hong Kong’s Carrie Lam asked to relocate from expensive office when lease ends in 2025

Hong Kong’s Carrie Lam asked to relocate from expensive office when lease ends in 2025

Former Hong Kong chief executive Carrie Lam Cheng Yuet-ngor has been urged to relocate her publicly funded office with an annual rent of HK$5.67 million (US$730,000) to government premises or a cheaper site when the lease expires in mid-2025.

The hefty rent came under fire earlier this year when the government revealed that her office cost taxpayers an estimated HK$9.17 million in the past financial year, including HK$5.67 million in rent and HK$2.86 million in staff expenses.

The government’s Administration Wing on Saturday told the Post that the lease of Lam’s 2,874 sq ft space at One Pacific Place in Admiralty would expire mid-May 2025.

“The government is handling the relevant arrangement according to established policies and procedures, which will be announced in due course,” its spokesman said.

Lawmaker Dominic Lee Tsz-king of the New People’s Party suggested authorities move her office to a government building or a site with a lower rental rate.

“The government has to take into account its financial situation, where there was a deficit of HK$183.9 billion [from April to August this year],” he said.

Source link

Visited 1 times, 1 visit(s) today

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *